Software Development Engineer
Leuven, Belgium (Europe)
About THEO Technologies
THEO is a deep tech B2B company, on a mission to shape the rapidly evolving online video landscape. The media industry that we have long known is rapidly changing. Media consumption patterns have shifted towards online video. As a company we provide high-impact media solutions for media companies around the world that enables them to offer exceptional video experiences across any device.
With our flagship product THEOplayer, used by tier 1 media companies worldwide, we are a recognised market leader in the video playback domain. The company has been awarded the Streaming Media Reader's Choice Award in the Video Player category for the last 3 years running (2017, 2018, 2019), confirming its game changing role.
THEO was awarded the Fastest Growing Technology Company in the Media and Entertainment Category in the Belgian Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50 Awards in both 2018 and 2019.
Our culture is based on trust, high performance and self-development where we believe in a more organic culture with the right balances and motivations.
Being a cross-platform solution, the THEOplayer codebase is developed in a hybrid of TypeScript and native languages like Java, Kotlin and Swift.
As a software engineer, you help design, maintain and evolve the Android-specific components of our video player.
You keep an eye on performance and reusability and are not afraid of developing hybrid solutions to achieve an optimal result.
You love the challenge of a technically complex product and believe that every technical challenge can be overcome by good architecture, clean code and teamwork.
You get the chance to share your knowledge with your colleagues and have the opportunity to learn from them.
All our engineers are both specialists in certain domains and generalists in our technology. We are a fast-growing company, which creates many opportunities to constantly evolve and grow in your role.
Duties & Responsibilities
- As one of our specialists, you help design, develop and maintain the THEOplayer Android SDKs, available on Mobile, Set-top boxes and TV;
- You keep up to date with the latest evolutions in Android development and ensure our solution remains the best for Android users;
- You’re a vibrant part of our team of passionate developers. Depending on your level of experience, you get the opportunity to mentor juniors and work with other developers on certain critical domains;
- Work together with product managers to analyze functional requirements and design, document and implement an appropriate solution;
- Work together with in-house testers to bring the quality of our solutions to a world-class level;
- Occasionally, you work directly with our customers to help them deploy our product in their Android apps and resolve any issues they are facing;
- You work in an agile team. This means you should feel comfortable with working in short sprints, pair programming, daily standups, test-driven development, …
Desired Skills & Experience
- Senior 5+ years (or Medior 2+ years) of experience as an Android software developer;
- Bachelor degree in IT, computer science or related field;
- Experienced in common software engineering practices like version management, git, unit testing, code documentation, CI/CD, ...;
- Expert knowledge of the Android framework, Java and Object-oriented design principles;
- You’re a team player that knows when to work together and when to fly solo;
- Tons of energy, passion, humor and enthusiasm;
- Loving the challenges and atmosphere of a young and fast-growing company.