The new year started exciting with a new major update of our fully HTML5 based video player THEOplayer. The 1.6 version of THEOplayer has become even more robust, leaner, quicker and guarantees video publishers an even smoother playback for live and on-demand video. This new release contains a long list of new exciting features that video publishers can make use of to create even more compelling online HTML5 based video experiences for their viewers!
Multiple Audio Renditions
Multiple audio renditions in an HLS manifest allow publishers to use multiple audio tracks for a single video stream. This allows publishers to easily support multiple languages for a Live or VOD stream without having to create different separate video assets. The viewer is able to select in the control bar of THEOplayer his preferred language.
Frame Accurate Clipping
THEOplayer allows publishers to easily create and share only the interesting bit with their viewers using the newly added clipping feature. THEOplayer’s clipping feature allows for fast, efficient and frame-accurate clipping in HLS video-on-demand streams. Publishers can specify a start time and end time to select a clip, which results in the player to limit video playback just between these two times. The start and end points of the clip can also be specified in number of frames, allowing for frame-accurate control. Have a look at our blog post on this feature for more info.
And a lot more Exciting New Features...
Apart from the above highlighted features our product team has accomplished a lot of improvements ‘under the hood’ of the player to make THEOplayer even more robust, leaner, quicker and guarantees video publishers and viewers an even smoother playback experience. Over the lasts months our product team has been adding an extensive list of new exciting features to the player, including:
- Advanced Advertisement Possibilities: Full support for advanced advertisements such as pre-rolls, mid-rolls, post-rolls via VAST and VMAP has been added to THEOplayer. An AdsController has been added to the API of THEOplayer to give video publishers full control to dynamically add advertisements the way they want. This allows a publisher for example to dynamically add on-the-fly advertisements during a live stream when an occasion for an advertisement break shows up. Check our documentation for more information.
- Ad Blocker Detection and Prevention: Ad blockers can be a big threat to publishers that get their revenue from video advertisements. THEOplayer 1.6 has several build-in features that allows to detect when users are blocking advertisements on the player. Once an ad blocker has been detected, publishers are offered several possibilities to define how they want to respond on the ad blocker. Check examples in the documentation for more information.
- Initial Rendition Selection: The Initial Rendition Selection option allows publishers to select the preferred initial stream quality at startup of the player in order to get a faster load time. A publisher is able to set the initial playback rendition for HLS streams to the highest, lowest or first playable rendition in the manifest
- Fallback Recovery: The recovery mechanism enables publishers to define a fallback scenario to a back-up stream in case their stream goes down during a live event.
- Microsoft Edge: THEOplayer now also guarantees full adaptive playback of HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Error Codes: Allows publishers for custom error handling and tracking, and to display localized error messages to their viewers.
- Anamorphic Widescreen: THEOplayer 1.6 now also supports HLS video in anamorphic format.
- MP3: THEOplayer 1.6 now supports audio in both the AAC and MP3 audio codecs.
- Raw Audio Files: On top of the existing support for audio in TS containers, THEOplayer 1.6 now also support audio fragments in AAC or MP3 container. This allows publishers to optimise their bandwidth usage when delivering audio streams.
- Ad Pods: Ad pods were introduced in VAST 3.0 and allow publishers to play a sequence of ads and increase your advertisement income. Have a look at our demo page on this feature for more info.
The last few months we have not only been working on the development of our HLS version of THEOplayer... Developed with our experience in multi-platform HLS playback in HTML5 in mind, our product team has developed from the ground up the most lean and mean MPEG-DASH player of the industry with an incredibly small payload and extremely fast response times. We are currently looking for parties that are interested in joining our extended testing and integration program for our new MPEG-DASH player. Interested? Do not hesitate to get in contact with our MPEG-DASH product team!
Do you want to see the latest version of our datasheet? Click here and get it.